Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wildflowers

You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
You belong with your love on your arm
You belong somewhere you feel free
-Tom Petty

a little too sunny... not actually scowling

The Tom Petty song above is one that Linda loves to quote. It is the season for wildflowers here and I can't help but think about those words. Something about being in the midst of a sea of wildflowers, breathing in the sweet spring air, feeling the warm touch of sun on my hungry winter skin, evokes deep emotion. When I was a kid I was home schooled and I lived in the country. I would spend hours on a tree swing or laying in a field. I had the time to study an individual flower, or notice a certain bug or observe the pattern the wind made in the tall grass. A few Sundays ago my mom, dad, Rachel and I went for a lazy afternoon drive to see these flowers. My camera died after a few pictures but it really was quite beautiful. In all honesty I went because I knew my dad really wanted to, I wanted to stay home and get things done around the house. Since those childhood days are gone it is hard for me to slow down and enjoy the small things. I am a big picture person that can be very task oriented but sometimes I need to stop and notice the small things. I am so glad I went out to see the flower and enjoy the meandering car ride. My dad even found some little broken birds eggs in among the flowers that were these light pastel colors. It's a blessing to drink in the beauty of nature, the Psalmist did it, and I think I need to do it more. It is easy to forget about God in the rush of grocery shopping, doing dishes, paying bills and running errands.
Out among the wildflowers God's thumb print is at every turn.

No comments: